Beamery is a startup behind a talent Operating System (OS) built for enterprise recruiting teams to attract, engage, and retain the best talent. The (OS) consists of a CRM with Vacancy list and Contact list functionalities that can handle pre-defined workflows set off by pre-defined triggers. The OS integrates with a variety of tools, mainly Application Tracking Systems. The OS is complemented by Chrome and Firefox Extensions.
Primary personas and main users are Sourcers and Recruiters. Auxiliary personas being Heads of Talent Acquisition, VPHR, etc.
Beamery's Chrome Extension allows a user to perform a limited number of actions without the need to log into the OS. For example a user can add candidates to the database, invite them to apply for a vacancy and then add them to a marketing campaign - all without the need to switch between browser windows. As Beamery's customer base matured and they began attracting Enterprise level customers, the Chrome Extension workflows have become outdated and were in need of a rethink. I was tasked with analysing the as-is workflow and proposing where and how changes could be introduces with the primary KPI being number of clicks and the fewer clicks a user needs to achieve a goal, the better.
The Chrome Extension is an out-dated solution, originally built when the core application was smaller, workflow trigger rules were looser and user workflows were simpler. It had not been kept inline with the changes in the core product. A lot of what a user can and needs to do as part of their current basic workflows cannot be completed in full using the extension. This was caused by lack of updates to the extension over time.
As a result, a lot of mandatory information that was being collected in the core product was not mandatory in the extension. This often resulted in broken workflows, email campaigns not being sent out and various statuses not updating, which cascaded further into other workflows not being triggered. These, and other issues caused users to have to switch from the extension to the browser, and back to the extension. In some cases users would abandon the extension all together as it was adding to the number of steps they would otherwise have to take.
UX researcher and analyst
For this project I worked in a UX researcher and analyst capacity. I collaborated with Head of Design (also the designer on this project) on the creative aspects of my recommendations.
The work outlined in this case study only includes what I produced for the designer who then took my deliverables and turned them into assets for the development team to implement.
Head of Design
1. Document the high level user workflow
At first I mapped out and documented the existing user workflow. At a high level, what steps does a user take to complete their goals? As I was not able to speak to users at this time I worked with Customer Experience team who often act as a proxy for user at the company. This would later act as a sense check that the proposed solution is able to help and not hinder users achieve their goals.
2. Document the User Journey, the processes involved, any technical limitations
Once I had the basic user workflow I assessed it against the current solution to identify usability gaps. I documented the steps in the user workflow along with process behind the scenes. I then investigated the list of reported bugs and feature requests to understand what might be missing.
It was at this stage that I was able to develop a "happy path", the ideal state for what the new solution would be able to do. Along with this I highlighted any technical limitations or bugs that I came across as well as any edge cases that we might have to consider later in the process. I noticed that while we originally thought this would be a lot of work we had existing functionality that we could utilise and re-purpose.
3. Wireflows & proposed changes documentation
Armed with what the user is trying to achieve and how the extension is meant to work in theory, I put together the wireflows and 6 user flows for the key journeys in the process. Once these were validated for feasibility with the designer and the product development team, the designer began working on the assets while I documented the list of proposed changes along with any new expected inputs and outputs. This was later handed over to the development team to implement.
Beamery Chrome Extension 4.0 was launched to its users in December 2019 incorporating my work.
Keeping the main KPI (reduction of steps to complete a goal) in mind not only was I able to reduce clicks. introduce missing functionality and highlight bugs, I was also able to identify areas of the process that could be fully automated reducing clicks in some cases from 7 to 0.
Kristine truly excels at getting stuff done! She puts in place tools and process, and she works very effectively with her engineering team, to ensure everything gets delivered in time, with the right scope. With her strong focus on user experience, starting with truly understanding what the users are trying to achieve, and how these users operate. I wholeheartedly recommend Kristine and I would hire her again without any hesitation.
Kristine and I worked together at Beamery where she was the dedicated UX Researcher within our design team. A very positive impact that Kristine has brought to the team is the highly effective new methodologies being introduced into the process at Beamery. It's clear to me that she is setting herself up to be an absolute powerhouse UX Researcher.